October is National Bullying Prevention Month
Every October, schools and organizations across the country join STOMP Out Bullying™ in observing National Bullying Prevention Month. The goal: encourage communities to work together to stop bullying and cyberbullying by increasing awareness of the prevalence and impact of bullying on all children of all ages.
A MONTH OF ANTI-BULLYING ACTIVITIES!
A MONTH OF ACTION!
Monday, October 2nd
Anti-bullying activities include STOMP Out Bullying™'s signature campaign Blue Shirt Day® World Day of Bullying Prevention™ on the first Monday of every October -- this year on Monday, October 2nd. Watch for our public service announcements by featured celebrities!
This is your chance to make bullying prevention heard around the world!
The Week of October 9th
Make friends with someone you don’t know at school
If you've ever been isolated from others at school or you were new at school and it took time to make friends, you know what it feels like to be left out. Or even if you were never isolated, imagine how it would feel.
Make friends with someone at school who you don't know. You probably wish someone had done that for you.
Be a leader. Take action and don't let anyone at school be in isolation.
Challenge Others To Be Kind
Make kindness go viral with an act of kindness and challenge friends and classmates to pay it forward with their acts of kindness. Make a video of everyone doing acts of kindness and submit it. We'll add it to our website.
October 11th is National Coming Out Day
Celebrate coming out as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, LGBTQ questioning or as an ally.
The Week of October 16th
STAND UP for Others Week
When you see someone being bullied, be brave and STAND UP for them. Bullies have been known to back off when others stand up for victims.
If you don't feel safe get the help of an adult immediately. Be part of the solution -- not the problem!
It's a time to see everyone's differences and celebrate their similarities: Whether students are LGBT, African American, Asian, Muslim, AAPI,of Tribal descent or disabled ...make friends.
Students can participate by
- Creating positive messages on post-its and handing them out to students at school
- Hold a "kindness" dance at school
- Creating anti-bullying videos and sharing them on the STOMP Out Bullying site
- Sharing inspirational stories on the STOMP Out Bullying site
- Create a kindness dance flash mob at school or in your community. Make a video of it and send it to us. We'll share it on our web site.
The Week of October 23rd
Week of Inclusion
- Don't let anyone at school eat alone in the cafeteria or on a school field trip. Make it the week of #NOONEEATSALONE
- Include other students in school activities
- Include other students in after school activities
- Invite someone you don't now that well to sit next to you on the bus. Learn about each other.
At one point or another each of us has felt insecure, or stressed out, or alone. It is important to remind our friends and classmates that we are all in it together and we are there to listen and support each other. Use the hashtag #HereForYou on social media to let your classmates know that they have your support and a person to reach out to if they ever need to talk.
The Week of October 30th
Start the Week With Conversations Amongst Your Peers
- Meet with fellow students and discuss how you can Change The Culture at your school.
- Use our Student Participation Toolkit to begin conversations on how your school can be judgement and bully free.
Hold a discussion in your classroom where you allow students to openly speak and discuss their experiences with bullying and cyberbullying, and how these experiences have effected them and how they dealt with these moments.
This is your month to take leadership at your school and carry it through all-year-round!
We look forward to hearing about your student led activities during National Bullying Prevention Awareness month.
The more awareness that is created during the month of October -- and all year round, you are one step closer to putting an end to bullying!