Hazing is a ritualistic test and a task involving harassment, abuse or humiliation used as a way of initiating a person into a gang, club, military organization or other group. This can include physical (sometimes violent) or mental (possibly degrading) practices.
It may seem like a right of passage so you can be accepted into what you think is a cool group at school, but the practices are humiliating and often dangerous. It can even be slandering and if posted on the Internet, it will be there forever.
Are You Being Hazed At School?
You could be in danger if:
- A group of leaders at school are intimidating you and acting very aggressive
- Kids at school say that certain activities are dangerous
- You’re stuck. You’re already involved afraid to say anything to anyone.
- You don't know how to leave the group
- The aggressive group has a reputation for being dangerous
- You have witnessed some events which are dangerous
When it comes to hazing, each school has different policies. Is the group responsible? Are you?
Bottom line is … you are responsible for your own actions. If you are in a group that hazes, you could be responsible just by being a member of the group.
What You Can Do
- If you are a bystander, NEVER go against the group alone.
- If you are a school leader, going against a group alone will only make you their victim. The best way to handle stopping the group is to report them to the school authorities. If you need to, you can report them anonymously.
- If you are a school leader you can try to show others that being in this type of group is not the COOL thing to do. But do tread carefully. The consequences could be dangerous.
- Think about how you would handle a dangerous situation, so if it occurred you would know how to handle it.
Visit the rest of our site and learn how you can STOMP Out Bullying™!